Pages

Advertisement

Thursday 26 October 2017

Anthony Joshua : I'll Dominate For A Decade

Anthony Joshua hopes to rule the heavyweight division for a decade as he prepares to defend his world titles against Carlos Takam in Cardiff.
Anthony Joshua : I'll Dominate For A Decade
The unbeaten 28-year-old will face Takam in front of 78,000 fans at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, live on Sky Sports Box Office, and admits he is still improving as a world champion.

But Joshua believes he can enjoy a lengthy reign at the top, if he maintains his dedicated approach to the sport.
Providing I stay disciplined in my sport, you'll hear of me for the next 10 years, and I'll definitely progress as a person, and that's what's it's about.
"I can't be perfect. I am who I am," Joshua told Sky Sports News. "I have managed to become heavyweight champion of the world and who I am, I can present myself as the person I am today, with a project and vision of improving myself for the future.
"Providing I stay disciplined in my sport, you'll hear of me for the next 10 years, and I'll definitely progress as a person, and that's what it's about.
"This isn't who I am today. I may make a mistake, but I'll correct it in the future, and that's what being a champion is about. If life was perfect and simple, people wouldn't be able to relate to me."

Joshua must cope with the muscular presence of Takam after Kubrat Pulev pulled out through injury
Promoter Eddie Hearn revealed last week that Joshua could be up to a stone lighter when he steps on the scales for Friday's weigh-in
, although the WBA 'super' and IBF title holder says his new-look leaner physique might not be ideal for the physical demands posed by Takam.
"With his style and his strength, I wish I came in heavier, so we could just stand there and slug it out with each other," said Joshua.
"His punches are going to be ricocheting through my body, so the bigger you are, the stronger you are, but why I came in lighter, I thought I was fighting Pulev, a real amateur style boxer. Jab with him and match his speed.
"This is a completely different style of fighter, so maybe I might have come in a bit heavier if I knew I was fighting Takam. But nevertheless we are here, I'm looking at myself in the best condition I am, and I'll put on the best performance in this condition I am."

Unification fights against WBC champion Deontay Wilder and WBO king Joseph Parker are thought to part of Joshua's plans and he intends to set-up another significant year in his career.
Joshua said: "If we are putting on a great fight, people are saying 'can he beat him', 'he definitely can beat him', or 'that fight will be a good fight'. 'Parker is a bit smaller, that's going to be a real good dust-up, if it's like the Takam fight'.
"There are so many questions to be answered, but all surrounds Saturday night in a weird way.
"I just need to make sure obviously I win, but if I can do it in good fashion, then the stock keeps high and we look forward to a spectacular 2018."

No comments:

Leave a comment